How to Host a Party: 10 Tips
I've had a birthday party almost every year of my life and have hosted my fair share of other events - from Valentines dinners to surprise parties and farewells. This last friday was my 19th birthday and after years of practice, I finally feel like I'm close to perfecting my party hosting recipe.
Here are some things I've learnt.
1. Don't serve chips.
These salty slices of goodness are actually the devil in disguise. Think about it - somebody grabs a handful and walks to another room, odd bits falling through the cracks and onto the floor - soon to be stepped on by a nearby partygoer and tracked across the house, into carpets and between floorboards. Gross. Cleanup time +1 hour.
2. Serve wrapped goods instead.
I served wrapped chocolate and jelly cups as snacks. Not only do these not make a mess, but they run out faster - simply because guests actually have to make an effort to consume them rather than being able to grab handfuls and stuff their faces.
I. and I share a birthday, he's a dynamite guy. [bonus tip; don't touch sparklers, they hurt]
3. Don't slack off on the music.
My playlists essentially go from more quiet music and then head right up to top 40's club tracks. This year that I'd make sure you could dance to every track on the list (while still maintaining a relaxed vibe - think The Kooks and Lisa Mitchell) and it worked a treat - consistent groove. Make sure you have some semblance of order in your playlists - if you're playing some Swedish House Mafia and everybody hits the dance floor only to be greeted next by Bon Iver, you're going to kill some serious vibes.
4. Don't let people touch your music.
I don't like to use any speakers with an audio jack because people feel inclined to unplug songs they don't like halfway through. These people are the worst kinds of people but I bet you know one. [above: Tom busting some fab moves and being clueless about how photo booths work]
5. Invite people you love being around.
I used to feel obliged to invite certain people to parties. I think it's really important to invite the people you think are going to make you smile.

6. Relax.
I used to reorder my shoe rack before parties. Suddenly, I realised that nobody cares if my heels are ordered by colour and then height. Basically, relax. People overlook most of those things when they're focused on friends and fun.


7. Have things to do.
While it's often pretty safe to let conversation and music entertain your guests for the night, it's always good to have something extra. I had a photo booth at my party [above: my oldest friend Stephanie and myself rocking our double pigtails] which was great fun. I also left a twister mat and an Upwords board on a bench for people to find and take advantage of - which they did!

8. Serve enough food.
I consistently serve too much. Honestly, I usually do it on purpose. There's nothing worse than guests going hungry. Added bonus if you have amazing friends who bake you amazing things. Check out these mathematical Adventure Time cupcakes Renee made me!
9. Unless it's a small party, broaden your theme.
I wanted to have a 50s themed party, but realised that most people wouldn't be able to pull something out of their closet and have it fit the theme. I didn't want guests to be deterred by the themed so I set it to 'It used to be Cool' for which some people went all out with band tshirts and double denim while others just slapped on some black nail polish.
10. Don't clean while your guests are still there.
This is just courtesy, sit with them and relax until all of them are gone. You don't want them to walk out thinking they've caused you trouble.
P.S. Thanks for coming, to those who did. Apparently I'm not very good at photo booths.




What a nice way to summarize your nineteenth :)
ReplyDelete(I can't even think of non cheesy things to post, I'm just being supportive!)
a couple of days ago I thought "I didn't go, but it looks like it was really awesome. cool"
ReplyDeleteand now that is here
Having so much fun catching up on your blog and I love this handy post so much! Also, I might steal Renee's cupcakes for my next bday adventure witg the girls x :)
ReplyDelete